When was the last time someone asked you the stranded on a deserted island question? You know the one. If you were on a deserted island, what one thing could you not live without? Or some version of that. In prehistoric times, like around the 1980s, the answers were books, walkman, tennis shoes. These days we’re talking iPhone, iPod, iThings.
Well, I have some iThings that I find essential for my cooking sanity. I am by no means saying you have to have these, nor am I supporting or advertising for any products. I’m just sharing some of my favorite gadgets, they may make your life easier too.
- That little rubber thing is a garlic peeler. I can’t tell you how much I love this thing.
- Good knives. What they say is true, if you buy good quality products, they’ll pay for themselves. It is an investmet well worth it. You want knives with good weight and sharp.
- A meat tenderizer. This one is nifty. It is reversible, so I have a prongy side and a flat surface on the other side. This one does double duty.
- A lemon juicer. ‘Nuff said.
- Good whire whisk
- Wine corkscrew. If you have nothing else, you must have this.
- A stainless steel soap. It removes odors from your hands like magic!
As far as hand cranks go, those are it. In terms of kitchen electronics, there are just a few items I’d add to my couldn’t live without you list.
- A good mixer. I’ve had a basic Kitchen Aid for almost 10 years now and it is still going strong.
- A good blender. Margaritas anyone?
- A microwave. Somethings just need nuking.
- A deep fryer
Not a terribly elaborate list, is it? What are some of your kitchen essentials?